My Frangipani

My Frangipani

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Week 5: 12 - The Wiki Hula

I had fun looking through the SJCPL Subject Guides – a pathfinder wiki developed by the St. Joseph County Public Library system. It was easy to surf and understand because it was in plain librarian language. And I think keeping a Wiki simple is better than making it complicated and hard to follow. I liked the fact that almost all the subject guides on this Wiki were relatively common to me as a librarian. I think Manukau Libraries would do well with Wikipedia but we must remember that there is always a good and bad in everything. After reading through some comments posted under some other Wikis I've read through in the process of finding out what a Wiki is, I'm also mindful that it is definitely a two way sword. The information provided on it must be accurate and factual, and mustn't be misused at any time. It would be wonderful to include all the information sources and resources available at our Research Library ie- the wealth of knowledge we have in our Heritage and Family History Collections.

No comments: